Lesson 2- Multiplication and Wheat

So last Friday I went to Vineyard and taught again. I have to confess that this lesson did not go as smoothly but that's ok because it was bound to happen and I learned a lot! The kiddos were doing multiplication and there just so happens to be a song in one of my music ed books that has a song with multiplication already in it! This beloved song my friends is called "Wheavily Wheat". Inspirational, I know. ;)

So what I did is I put the kids in groups of 4 and wrote 4 multiplication facts on the board multiplying by 6. What they were supposed to do was to walk in a circle to the beat while singing the song. then when it got to the multiplication facts, they turn in towards the middle of the circle and put their hands in the center to the beat. The kiddos were a little bit crazier today than they were in the past but in their defense it was Friday and they are in 3rd grade.

They had a trouble keeping the beat and staying focused so I got a lot of good notes about what I could do when kids were being crazy and when they don't know how to do basic rhythm things.

Here is a small list:
- take time letting the kids feel the rhythm before singing at all
- don't stop so much
- let the kids keep going
- If they aren't getting it, go back to the basics
- sing more repetitions of the song
- write the words on the board

So what happened is I have a phrase that I use to get the kids to be quiet quickly. Teacher: 1,2,3 eyes on me. Kids: 1,2 eyes on you. They were super hyper and so I kept stopping and doing that and it kind of stopped the flow of the lesson. They also weren't really understanding the activity and so one of the notes I got from Emily was to just let them keep singing it over and over again without stopping. That note in particular, I think, would have really been helpful in getting control of the class and helping them get the activity down.

Here is the song. Pictures and Video to come later :)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11/3/17 Lesson 3: Fred with Living and Non-Living things