11/3/17 Lesson 3: Fred with Living and Non-Living things

I'm a little behind on my teaching updates but on the third of November I went to Vineyard and taught again! This particular lesson, I decided to not do math and so we focused on living and non-living things. Now with this lesson what I did is I wrote a little story and incorporated some acting to it! I am supposed to focus mostly on music but I am trained in theatre and dance and all the art forms have so many things in common that I figured it wouldn't hurt to have them dress up and act!

So I wrote a quick story about a third grade student named Fred who goes about his every day life interacting with living and non-living things. (I will post the story below). I had the blessed Nik Dorsey go get some fabric and foliage for the kiddos. I assigned several students a character or a part to play and had them get dressed. I then made two columns on the board: one for living and non-living. The class identified which "characters" fell under which category. The remaining students then each got rhythm sticks and as I read the story, they had to hit them together 3 times for every LIVING thing and rub the sticks for every NON-LIVING thing. I highlighted my story in red (nonliving things) and blue (living) to make sure that I would pause so they could use their rhythm sticks.

The kids really loved it and we went through the story one more time switching up the characters with different students. I asked the kids to identify if candy was living or non-living and then gave each student a Dum-Dum sucker for answering the question right.

I had finished earlier than I expiated to but didn't have enough time to run through it again so I was kind of at a loss for what to do so I asked them about their weekend plans. Mrs. Dorsey suggested letting all the kids try on all the different costumes so they felt like they had a fair chance to be every character.

Another tip Mrs. Dorsey gave in order to help kids move and clean up faster is to use little animal analogies like "sneak like a fox and pick up your costume" or something to that effect which I thought was both adorable and effective.

Below is my lesson plan and the story I wrote. (it took me a surprisingly large amount of time to write lol) Pictures and video to come soon.





Comments

  1. Great post, Tiffany! You're story is adorable and I love that you were able to bring costumes to help them really play the part. You have done great work this semester and I have enjoyed following along by reading your blog posts. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog